Monday, December 11, 2017

DM Story Time: Where the Hell Have I Been?

Welcome back. I assume everyone is telling me this but I have my doubts.

I had planned on running this blog weekly while I ran my games but life has a habit of getting in the way. As such three years have passed and I haven't written a word.

But no longer! I will update regularly again!

But I know that an announcement of more to come isn't worth an update so how about I summarize my past three years?

The Order of the Shooting Star never met again after the third session. Scheduling conflicts happened too frequently and I was getting visibly frustrated. We agreed to disband the group and try again later if things opened up.

I started going to Adventurers League to get my fix. It worked for a time but my work schedule and my wife both stopped me from going any further.

I dropped out of college. I couldn't handle the workload of a full-time student with a full-time job and a full-time husband. Something had to give and it wound up being school. I'll finish my degree when things become less crazy.

Work began to suck. I got a job at a deli in a grocery store and it was soul-rending. That store, I came to realize, was where dreams went to die. Despite that I still looked for any reason to get back into the hobby of tabletop.

I discovered the West Marches and its player-driven structure. Since scheduling conflicts were the biggest reason why my previous games fell apart it seemed perfect. Place the burden on the players!

I tried it out and had a successful game which has been the last game I've run since June of this year (2017 if you're curious).

Once again, life happened.

I had to move out of state to pursue a job opportunity. Currently I'm an OTR Trucker who is hoping to get a local route so he can come home more frequently as this hobby is calling to my heart, and I have so many ideas to bring to my table.

So session recaps are not coming back anytime soon but I will expand upon some of my ideas in the future. Until then stay nerdy!

No comments:

Post a Comment